Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Aspiring Golfer secures ultimate goal

Twenty-six-year-old Lexie Boyle has achieved one of her ultimate goals in life – securing the title of McLeod Country Golf Club’s 2011 Member’s Club Champion.


It took 37 holes of play for Lexie’s dream to become a reality, defeating fellow McLeod member Collette Byrne to lift the trophy.

The Carina resident has been anxiously trying to win the title but has had to settle for being a bridesmaid for the past six years.

“I am thrilled to have won the club championships. Throughout the past 13 years I have been piped at the post about six times so this win has been a long time coming,” the aspiring golfer said.

Lexie Boyle with McLeod Country Golf Club President Di Paez
“Winning the club championship was a goal of mine that I set when I was a junior. Even though it has taken me a little longer than expected to win it, I am proud I have achieved it.”

Lexie has been a member of McLeod Country Golf Club since joining as a junior and plays number one in the club’s Silver Pennant team.

“I have been swinging a club since I was four years old but I became serious about my golf when I was 13. In 1998 I was one of three girls to win a scholarship to play at McLeod,” she said.

“I feel I have become part of the McLeod family and the members and fellows have been very welcoming. There is a special camaraderie at the club that I enjoy.”

The aspiring golfer one day hopes to be able to solely concentrate on her golf career.

“At the moment I just like to play for fun but I am hoping one day I’ll be able to focus on my golf,” she said.

Sandra Andrews took out the title of McLeod Country Golf Club’s Division 2 2011 Club Champion defeating Carole Hall on the last hole. Mary Allen defeated Ruth Dalton to become the Division 3 champion for 2011.

Recently, 64-year-old Val Shine won the Senior Ladies Championships and has been a member of McLeod for 21 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Facebook Badge